- Life Care Center of Hilton Head
- NHC HealthCare in Anderson Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
- Heartland Health and Rehabilitation Care Center In Hanahan
- Taking on Greenville East Heartland Health Care Center
- White Oak Manor
- Charleston Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center Neglect and Abuse
- Charleston Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center
- Bridge Assisted Living At Life Care Center Of Charleston
- Methodist Oaks Abuse and Neglect Attorneys
- The Pines at Bluffton (Formerly Bloom at Bluffton)
- Bloom at Belfair Senior Living
When seniors can no longer live independently, they have many choices in Charleston for assisted living, including the Bridge Assisted Living at Life Care Center of Charleston, located at 2590 Elms Plantation Blvd, North Charleston, SC 29406-8105.
Bridge Assisted Living claims the facility is “proud to offer peace of mind to residents and their families.” Unfortunately, not everyone at this facility receives care as promised, and some residents suffer serious injuries due to neglect or abuse.
At Hughey Law Firm, we have represented clients who suffered harm while living at Bridge Assisted Living, and we succeeded in holding the facility liable for the harm caused.
We take on many long-term care facilities in the area and achieve results for our clients, including:
- $1,000,000 for a client who developed pressure sores at a nursing home
- $875,000 for a client who suffered a broken neck and pelvis from a wheelchair accident
- $750,000 for a nursing home resident who was the victim of several assaults, leading to a fractured eye socket and fatal choking
- $350,000 for a client with Stage IV pressure sores that become infected at a nursing home
Nursing homes have the duty to abide by all state safety regulations and provide adequate care to residents. When they fail to do so, the facilities should compensate residents for the preventable harm they suffered.
If you believe your loved one suffered preventable injuries at Bridge Assisted Living at Life Care Center of Charleston, Hughey Law Firm is the legal team to help you. Case evaluations are always free, and we can advise you on how to seek justice for your loved one. Reach out today for more information.
Table of Contents
- Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- The Costs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Why are Nursing Home Claims Complicated?
- Charleston Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Handling Claims Against Bridge Assisted Living at Life Care Center
- Client Testimonial
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
As someone who cares about someone in a nursing home, you may need to know how to identify the many different types of nursing home abuse and neglect. In addition, while both abuse and neglect involve the mistreatment of residents, abuse involves intentional acts, while neglect involves staff failing to use the degree of care they should.
Some of the most common forms of abuse and neglect involve:
- Hitting, kicking, pushing, or punching
- Sexual assault
- Yelling or belittling
- Withholding or failing to provide adequate food, water, medication, or care
- Failing to maintain a resident’s living quarters in an acceptable condition
- Unnecessary use of restraints
- Not letting residents engage in activities
In some cases, residents may be too afraid to report the neglect or abuse or may even be unaware that it is happening. For this reason, it is advisable for anyone with a loved one in a nursing home to familiarize themselves with common signs of abuse and neglect and take action if they spot any.
Some of the signs of neglect and abuse you should watch out for include:
- Sudden weight loss
- Unexplained injuries
- Emotional withdrawal or depression
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Fearful behavior around nursing home staff
- Unexplained illnesses
If you spot these or any other signs of abuse or neglect, report it to the facility’s management and the South Carolina Long Term Care Ombudsman and contact an attorney immediately.
The Costs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Not only do residents not receive the care they expect and pay for, but they also incur many additional costs and losses when they suffer nursing home neglect or abuse.
Injuries can take many forms, including:
- Bedsores that can lead to infections
- Physical injuries, including fractures, lacerations, contusions, and more
- Injuries to genitals or sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Regression of mental state
- Withdrawing from social interactions
- Feelings of fearfulness
- Depression or anxiety
- Medical complications due to a lack of medical care or medication errors
- Nutritional issues, including unhealthy weight gain or loss
All of these injuries – whether physical or mental – can take a toll on a senior’s already challenging life. Many residents suffer from underlying physical or mental ailments, and additional injuries can increase their pain and suffering significantly.
When we stand up to Bridge Assisted Living and similar facilities, we seek compensation for all the losses of injured residents.
The costs of neglect and abuse can include:
- Expenses of medical care that otherwise is not necessary
- Emergency transportation and hospitalization for severe injuries or medical complications
- Costs of a higher level of care moving forward (likely in a different facility)
- Physical pain due to injuries
- Emotional suffering or humiliation
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The value of a neglect or abuse case depends on the severity of the injuries, the costs stemming from the injuries, and the egregiousness of the conduct that caused the injuries.
If you suspect your loved one was a victim, reach out to a nursing home abuse lawyer today so we can evaluate your case.
Why are Nursing Home Claims Complicated?
Never expect a nursing home or assisted living facility to willingly admit liability for neglect or abuse. Doing so can result in costly fines, civil liability to residents, and damage to the facility’s reputation. Instead, nursing homes will often tell any story possible to explain away injuries or other behavior that results from mistreatment.
Nursing homes might state that an injury was purely accidental or that social withdrawal or depression is due to increasing dementia. Our Charleston nursing home abuse lawyers know not to blindly accept such explanations. We investigate what happened to your loved one and take legal action if they suffered neglect or abuse. You can count on our team to stand up to Bridges Assisted Living, as we have successfully done before.
Charleston Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Handling Claims Against Bridge Assisted Living at Life Care Center
If you or someone you care about has suffered harm from nursing home abuse or neglect, you should call the Hughey Law Firm today.
We are committed to protecting the rights of nursing home residents and have what it takes to hold nursing homes accountable for the actions of their staff.
Hughey Law Firm – Charleston Office
171 Church Street Suite 330
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: (843) 633-6877
“Thank you Hughey Law Firm! It was a pleasure to work with you on my case! From the beginning, every contact I had with your firm was professional, kind, helpful, and painless! I always felt kept in the loop, and important to you as a client. If you are looking for a personal injury attorney with integrity, I would highly recommend Hughey Law Firm!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐