- Life Care Center of Hilton Head
- NHC HealthCare in Anderson Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
- Heartland Health and Rehabilitation Care Center In Hanahan
- Taking on Greenville East Heartland Health Care Center
- White Oak Manor
- Charleston Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center Neglect and Abuse
- Charleston Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center
- Bridge Assisted Living At Life Care Center Of Charleston
- Life Care Center of Charleston Neglect and Abuse Lawyers
- Methodist Oaks Abuse and Neglect Attorneys
- The Pines at Bluffton (Formerly Bloom at Bluffton)
- Bloom at Belfair Senior Living
Methodist Oaks is one of many options for long-term residential care in South Carolina, located at 1000 Methodist Oaks Drive in Orangeburg, South Carolina.
An hour outside of Charleston, this facility claims it is the “ideal place for those who can appreciate a certain quiet, elegant way of living,” though the legal team at Hughey Law Firm knows this is not the entire truth.
Our attorneys have won claims for our clients who suffered preventable injuries from neglect or abuse at Methodist Oaks and many other facilities in the area.
For example, our nursing home negligence lawyers have obtained:
- $1,000,000 for a client who developed pressure sores at a nursing home
- $875,000 for a client who suffered a broken neck and pelvis from a wheelchair accident
- $750,000 for a nursing home resident who was the victim of several assaults, leading to a fractured eye socket and fatal choking
- $350,000 for a client with Stage IV pressure sores that become infected at a nursing home
At Hughey Law Firm, we stand up for the rights of adults who deserve proper care and enjoyment of life as they move into nursing homes or other long-term care facilities. Unfortunately, our attorneys know all too well that many residents suffer neglect or abuse in their nursing homes, leading to serious physical and emotional injuries.
If you believe your loved one is a victim at Methodist Oaks or another facility, reach out to our Methodist Oaks abuse and neglect lawyers right away for help.
Table of Contents
- Spotting Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Forms of Neglect and Abuse in Nursing Homes
- What to Do If You Suspect Neglect or Abuse?
- The Right Attorneys for Your Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse Claim
- Speak With Our Methodist Oaks Abuse and Neglect Lawyers
- Client Testimonial
Spotting Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect are serious issues throughout the United States. While it is difficult to fully grasp the scope of the problem, the National Council on Aging reports that according to some estimates, five million elders suffer abuse each year, and only one in 24 cases are reported
In light of the prevalence of elder abuse and neglect in the United States, anyone with a loved one in a nursing home must look for signs of abuse or neglect.
Furthermore, loved ones of residents should be aware that abuse and neglect can take many forms, including physical, psychological, emotional, or even financial abuse or neglect.
Some of the more common signs of elder abuse or neglect in nursing homes include:
- Unexplained injuries
- Weight Loss, dehydration, or other signs of malnutrition
- Fearful behavior, anxiety, or depression
- Withdrawal from social activities
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Hesitation discussing their living conditions with visitors
- Unnecessary use of restraints
You should immediately call us. We can report these or any other potential signs of abuse or neglect to the nursing home’s management and the South Carolina Long-Term Care Ombudsman.
Forms of Neglect and Abuse in Nursing Homes
Methodist Oaks and similar facilities agree to provide proper care for residents in exchange for costly payments by residents. These homes often fail to hold up their end of the bargain, as too many residents suffer avoidable injuries due to staff negligence or intentional harm by staff or other residents.
Some ways that nursing home abuse and neglect happen include:
- Failing to provide timely medical care when necessary
- Not dispensing appropriate medication
- Not providing proper nutrition or hydration
- Isolating or restraining residents when unnecessary
- Physical assaults against residents
- Emotional abuse and humiliation of residents
- Threatening harm to residents to instill fear and establish control
- Sexual assault of residents or other unwanted sexual exposure or touching
- Having facilities that are too hot or cold for residents
- Failing to supervise residents when necessary, which leads to falls and other accidents
- Violating other safety regulations
Note that staff can allow other residents or visitors to abuse residents due to inadequate security or supervision.
Nursing homes often have minimal staff who receive little pay or training, which can lead to insufficient care or angry outbursts toward residents that result in harm. Whether a resident suffered injuries due to neglect or abuse, nursing homes like Methodist Oaks should be fully accountable for all injuries and losses your loved one suffered.
What to Do If You Suspect Neglect or Abuse?
If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, protect your loved one from further harm and protect their legal rights.
First of all, as mentioned above, immediately call our Charleston nursing home abuse or neglect lawyers. We can report any signs of abuse or neglect to the facility’s manager and the Long Term Care Ombudsman program.
If you believe that your loved one is in immediate danger or has been the victim of a crime, call the police.
The Right Attorneys for Your Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse Claim
Nursing homes have many reasons to avoid liability for injuries to residents. First, they want to avoid paying out injury claims, as it can increase their insurance rates. Proven injury claims can also result in civil penalties by the state, which can be costly. Finally, reports of neglect or abuse can significantly damage a nursing home’s reputation, which can deter future residents from selecting that facility.
Standing up to nursing homes, their insurance companies, and legal teams is intimidating, especially when the facility will do whatever it takes to refute claims from injured residents.
Our abuse and neglect attorneys are not hesitant to stand up to Methodist Oaks, and we have done so successfully in the past. Learn more about how we might help your loved one as soon as possible.
Speak With Our Methodist Oaks Abuse and Neglect Lawyers
If you or someone you love has suffered from nursing home abuse or neglect, you should speak to a Methodist Oaks abuse and neglect attorney as soon as you can.
At Hughey Law Firm, we know how to hold long-term care facilities accountable for the negligence or wrongful conduct of their staff. To discuss your case with an attorney, call our office today at (843) 881-8644 or send us an email through our online contact form.
“Thank you Hughey Law Firm! It was a pleasure to work with you on my case! From the beginning, every contact I had with your firm was professional, kind, helpful, and painless! I always felt kept in the loop, and important to you as a client. If you are looking for a personal injury attorney with integrity, I would highly recommend Hughey Law Firm!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐