A hospital may be the last place you’d expect to encounter danger—especially in South Carolina’s most respected hospitals, including MUSC Health-University Medical Center, Lexington Medical Center, and Roper Hospital.
However, hospital administrators, doctors, and care staff often fail to administer adequate care, even at top facilities. Because many patients are already at risk when they arrive at a hospital, negligence can prove life-changing or even fatal for the victim.
If you or a loved one are the victims of negligence in a South Carolina hospital, the team at Hughey Law Firm wants to fight for justice. A South Carolina hospital negligence lawyer from our team will pursue the financial recovery you are entitled to.
Why Hire Hughey Law Firm After a Case of Hospital Negligence in South Carolina?
Hospital negligence in South Carolina is more common than you may realize. Our law firm knows, as we frequently help victims of hospital negligence hold liable parties accountable.
You may choose to hire Hughey Law Firm for your own case and may do so because:
- Our personal injury attorneys have relevant experience in hospital negligence cases: When you’re seeking a hospital negligence attorney, consider experience. Our lawyers have handled many cases involving costly hospital failures, so we’re well-positioned to lead your case. We won’t be surprised by any challenge that comes our way.
- We have guided clients through hundreds of civil cases, getting hundreds of case results in the process: We haven’t just handled hospital negligence cases—we’ve won them. This is a crucial distinction, as case results prove a law firm’s effectiveness at getting money for its clients. Our results include many multi-million-dollar recoveries for clients in need.
- We provide legal services to every corner of South Carolina: Hughey Law Firm has a personal connection to South Carolinians. With attorneys born, raised, educated, and rooted in The Palmetto State, Hughey Law Firm is a legal team by South Carolinians for South Carolinians.
- You’ll receive the utmost respect and service as a client of Hughey Law Firm: Client service is our priority. There is no excuse for poor client service, which is why each client gets respect, compassion, and a completely supportive legal team.
We want you to focus on your health. Hospital negligence can cause injury, illness, and the loss of a loved one. Each of these outcomes is traumatic for the victim(s). We will manage all of your legal needs so you can put your physical and psychological recovery first.
Certain Groups Are at High Risk of Hospital Negligence
Hospital negligence can cause the healthiest individuals to suffer injury, illness, or death. However, our attorneys have found that some groups are especially vulnerable to the effects of hospital errors and negligence.
These groups include:
- The elderly, who studies indicate hospitals mistreat and neglect
- Unconscious patients who cannot advocate for themselves when the quality of care lags
- Verbally and visually impaired patients
- Developmentally impaired patients
Our firm serves as a voice for the voiceless and proudly serves members of at-risk communities. That being said, hospital negligence’s effects can potentially touch anyone entering a South Carolina hospital.
What Does Hughey Law Firm Do for Victims of Hospital Negligence in South Carolina?
Our legal team will lead the legal process from start to finish for you. Our experience in civil court systems across South Carolina primes us to complete your case, and we can get started right away.
While you recover, rest, work through any psychological or emotional injuries, and focus on your personal life, we will:
Identify and Document Where the Hospital Let You Down
Our team will complete a detailed investigation into your case of hospital negligence.
- Document your account of negligence
- Secure all evidence of negligence
- Speak with witnesses to negligence and record their accounts
- Consult professionals about how the hospital was negligent
Each case presents us with different evidence to collect. We will build as complete a case as possible, knowing that evidence is crucial to any hospital negligence case.
Calculate and Document Your Damages
Our attorneys will document every damage resulting from hospital negligence, including:
- Medical records and bills
- Experts account of pain and suffering that’s resulted from hospital negligence
- Proof of lost income
- Any other documentation that illustrates your damages
We will also determine the exact monetary cost of your damages. While we always show urgency when completing a case, we take our time when calculating damages. Our attorneys will be certain that we’re fighting for the financial recovery you need and deserve.
Retain Medical Experts to Strengthen Your Case
Cases involving medical negligence can be complicated. We may face a high bar to prove that a hospital’s negligence caused you harm, so we don’t hesitate to rely on qualified experts.
- Testify about the specific types of hospital negligence involved in your case
- Explain what reasonable medical professionals will have done versus what hospital staff actually did
- Help us determine the cost of damages
Professionals can lend credibility to a South Carolina hospital negligence case. Hughey Law Firm has the resources and willingness to hire the most qualified professionals we can find.
Handle All Communications and Paperwork
We leave nothing to our clients to handle. By leading communications and completing all case-related paperwork, we protect your rights while sparing you with the responsibility of dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, and others involved in the legal process.
Fight for a Settlement
We will demand that the hospital or other liable parties pay for your damages. Settlement negotiations will bring us together with those liable parties, and we’ll present our calculation of your damages.
While negotiations sometimes require compromise, Hughey Law Firm always intends to get the full financial recovery our client deserves.
Take Your Case to Trial if We Need To
A trial is one legal strategy we embrace. If liable parties are unwilling to offer a fair settlement, your lawyer from Hughey Law Firm will prepare for court.
Hughey Law Firm’s Fee Structure Eliminates All Financial Pressure From Hiring a Lawyer
Our fee structure suits the client. It also works for our firm, but we want to ensure, first and foremost, that our clients get the legal help they need.
- Don’t ask for (or even accept) upfront compensation from you
- Don’t charge by the hour or for a guaranteed rate
- Sign an agreement to receive a portion of any settlement or verdict we get for you
- Only receive the fee if we win your case
In other words, you face no direct financial risk when you hire Hughey Law Firm. We will get a fee if we win, but you’ll still get most of the financial recovery. If we don’t win (a possibility we don’t plan on), you won’t owe us anything.
We understand how vital financial recoveries are to victims of hospital negligence in South Carolina. Our firm will work as a team, relentlessly fighting for the money you are entitled to.
What Is Hospital Negligence?
Hospital negligence falls into two primary categories:
- Unintentional errors
- Willful neglect
Whether or not caregivers intend to neglect the victim, a hospital’s negligence causes harm to the victim. Negligence happens when a liable party does not act as a reasonable person should.
In terms of hospital negligence, such unreasonable acts may include:
- Failing to provide basic care (cleaning, in-bed rotations, bathing, medications, and assistance with eating and drinking)
- Failing to monitor the patient and provide prompt care when necessary
- Failing to protect the patient from abuse
- Committing surgical errors
- Misdiagnosing medical conditions
- Delaying a diagnosis in a way that allows a medical condition to become worse
These are only a few examples of hospital negligence. If you believe that hospital staff acted in an unreasonable manner that caused you or a loved one harm, contact the Hughey Law Firm team as soon as possible.
Who Is Financially Liable for Hospital Negligence in South Carolina?
We will know this once we review all relevant facts and evidence.
We will examine every potential defendant in your case, which may include:
- The hospital: Hospital administrators and employed caregivers can commit negligence, in which case the hospital may be liable for its employees’ failures. Even if a non-employee commits negligence in a hospital setting, the hospital can be liable for damages.
- A caregiver: Any negligent caregivers may be personally liable for the harm they cause. This includes doctors and nurses.
- Medical device manufacturers: The manufacturer may be liable if a defective medical device plays a role in your hospital negligence case.
No two instances of hospital negligence are identical. Our attorneys will investigate every aspect of your case to determine liability.
Why Shouldn’t I Lead My Own Hospital Negligence Case?
If you choose not to hire a lawyer, you place your case in jeopardy. If you suffered an injury or were sick or coping with a loved one’s passing, managing a lawsuit or claim can negatively affect your mental and physical health.
Our attorneys lead legal cases for a living, and you should rely on our experience, resources, and law knowledge.
Call Hughey Law Firm Today for Your Free Consultation About Hiring a Hospital Negligence Lawyer in South Carolina
Hospital negligence is never acceptable and can cause life-changing harm to a victim. A South Carolina personal injury lawyer from Hughey Law Firm will fight for your financial recovery, whether you suffered medical-related injuries or lost a loved one due to hospital errors.
“I had a wonderful experience with Hughey Law Firm. Everybody was very professional and made the process easy. No doubt, if ever again, I will return to Hughey Law Firm!” –
Victoria G. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more of our Google reviews.