Birth injuries prevent a child from living life on the same footing as other children. While strong, caring parents can do much to help a child overcome a birth injury, some injury symptoms are permanent.
Even if a birth injury heals, our birth injury lawyers in South Carolina can hold negligent medical professionals accountable when they harm children and cause them to need additional medical treatment.
A South Carolina birth injury lawyer from Hughey Law Firm will seek justice for you and your child. Our firm will shelter you from the legal process, allowing you to focus on your child’s health and recovery.
Table of Contents
- WHY PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH BIRTH INJURIES HIRE HUGHEY LAW FIRM
- TYPES OF BIRTH INJURIES OUR ATTORNEYS DEAL WITH IN SOUTH CAROLINA
- DAMAGES A BIRTH INJURY IN SOUTH CAROLINA CAN CAUSE
- HOW A BIRTH INJURY LAWYER FROM HUGHEY LAW FIRM WILL SEEK COMPENSATION FOR YOUR CHILD (AND YOU)
- WE REPRESENT PARENTS WHO HAVE TRAGICALLY LOST A CHILD TO A BIRTH INJURY
- CALL HUGHEY LAW FIRM TODAY FOR YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Why Parents of Children with Birth Injuries Hire Hughey Law Firm
Realizing that a child has suffered an injury can stir many emotions, from outrage to sadness, shock, and confusion. Birth injuries are never in the plan, and parents are often uncertain how to respond.
The Hughey Law Firm team wants to provide some stability and guidance during this difficult time. While we allow you to come to terms with the birth injury in your own way, we will fight for the justice you and your child deserve.
Parents of injured children in South Carolina rely on Hughey Law Firm because:
- We have a track record of successful results in South Carolina: Hughey Law Firm serves South Carolinians. We have multiple offices in the state, and our attorneys reside in the same state as our clients. This allows us a personal connection with our clients and a great knowledge of the civil justice system in South Carolina.
- We pay the financial cost of birth injury cases: Because our attorneys have won many cases, our firm can pay the entire upfront cost of a case. We create the strongest case possible, and costs are not a consideration. Whether we hire experts, commission reports, or take other steps, you will face no extra costs.
- Former clients praise Hughey Law Firm: Do not ignore the words of former clients, good or bad. We have earned recommendations from our former clients, and they help cement Hughey Law Firm’s reputation for client-first legal service.
- We provide personalized legal services: We approach each case as if our firm depended on it. We will create a personalized legal plan for your case. Parents of injured children have a story to tell, and we intend to tell yours.
- We always fight for maximum compensation: When we agree to represent you, we make you a promise. Our attorneys fight for the entire financial recovery that you and your child deserve, and we never settle for less.
Birth injuries affect at least two people. The attorneys at Hughey Law Firm know that we’re fighting for your child’s future and also to get justice for parents. We take this responsibility very seriously.
Our Firm’s Case Results Prove Our Willingness to Fight for You
As you consider which law firm will lead your birth injury case in South Carolina, consider Hughey Law Firm’s case results.
These results objectively measure how we fight for clients:
- $975,000 for a client who lost their child due to medical malpractice
- $600,000 for a medical provider’s failure to diagnose a life-threatening medical condition
- $575,000 for a medical professional’s delayed diagnosis of a serious medical condition
These are just a few of the many financial recoveries we have gotten for victims of malpractice. The attorneys at Hughey Law Firm know the responsibilities that medical providers have. Therefore, we know when medical providers fail in their duty of care.
Our team will identify all instances of malpractice that led to your child’s birth injury.
Types of Birth Injuries Our Attorneys Deal With in South Carolina
Hughey Law Firm represents parents of children with preventable birth injuries. This means that we have seen many types of birth injuries.
Birth injuries can stem from (or result in):
- Brain defects and injuries
- Spinal defects and injuries
- Eye defects
- Cardiovascular defects
- Facial defects
- Stomach defects
- Gastrointestinal defects
- Undetected genetic defects
- Bone defects
- Muscle defects
Even if a child or mother has a condition that increases the risk of a birth injury, a medical professional must identify the defect. The doctor should then alert the parent(s) to pregnancy-specific risks and take all precautions to prevent an injury.
Our attorneys work with experienced and knowledgeable medical professionals. These experts help us understand children’s injuries, the likely causes of those injuries, and the type of care the child will need for the injuries.
If your child suffered an injury before, during, or just after birth, our personal injury law firm in Charleston, SC can handle your case.
Damages a Birth Injury in South Carolina Can Cause
Different birth injuries cause varying symptoms, from severe disfigurement to nerve damage and cognitive dysfunction. It is Hughey Law Firm’s job to identify exactly how your child’s injuries, and your own physical and mental injuries, translate to recoverable damages.
Types of recoverable damages we often see in South Carolina birth injury cases include:
Pain and Suffering (for Both Parent and Child)
Pain and suffering is a type of damage common in civil cases. In birth injury cases, our lawyers consider the pain and suffering of both the child and their parents.
For a mother, pain and suffering may include:
- Physical pain related to a difficult delivery
- Scarring and disfigurement related to a negligent delivery method
- Depression upon realizing that their child has suffered an injury
- Lost quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Sleep problems
A father may also experience various forms of pain and suffering.
For the injured child, pain and suffering may include:
- Physical pain from their birth injury
- Loss of independence
- Lost quality of life
- Emotional distress
The cost of pain and suffering may be related to the types of injuries the child suffered, the severity of injury symptoms, and other case-specific factors.
The Cost of Negligent Medical Care
No parent should have to pay for negligent medical care. If we determine that medical malpractice caused your child’s birth injury, you should not have to pay liable parties for their services.
The Cost of Medical Care Necessary to Treat the Birth Injury
Once a birth injury has happened, other risk factors can emerge. Doctors must work to prevent infection, brain swelling, and other potentially life-threatening conditions. This emergency care may only be the start of post-injury medical services.
A child with a birth injury may also need:
- Several follow-up appointments with specialists in the specific field of injury
- Lifelong medical care for symptoms of their injury and any conditions that arise from the initial injury
- Physical and cognitive rehabilitation
- Various surgeries to address symptoms of their birth injury
The attorneys at Hughey Law Firm will work with experts to project the cost of your child’s future medical care.
Any caregiver costs associated with your child’s birth injury may be recoverable. This includes a part- or full-time caregiver in your home, third-party caregiver services, and any other services necessary to ensure your child’s safety.
Even if parents take time from work to care for their injured child, every parent needs a break. We will determine what caregiver services you need and how much those services cost. We’ll demand that liable parties cover the cost.
Living Costs for an Injured Child (Into Adulthood, in Some Cases)
A person with a birth injury may face high costs of living, both in childhood and adulthood.
In cases of severe birth injuries, a child may need:
- Medical equipment
- Ramps, lifts, and other accommodations in their home
- A disability-friendly vehicle
Those with significant cognitive or physical injuries may never live on their own. This means that parents may need to pay for food, housing, clothing, and other basic amenities for their adult child.
Experts can help you understand the cost of living for your child, both now and in the future. These experts will help us determine how much compensation to seek for you.
Professional Losses for Parents
Children with birth injuries have needs that non-injured children often don’t. Some parents decide to scale back or abandon their careers to raise an injured child.
The Hughey Law Firm team will identify any professional damages related to your child’s injury, including:
- Lost income
- Lost earning power
- Inability to earn promotions
- Inability to earn bonuses
- Lost professional fulfillment
Many parents have no qualms about raising their child, even if it comes at the cost of a career. However, this decision comes with financial consequences. Our firm will pinpoint that financial cost and seek fair compensation for you.
How a Birth Injury Lawyer from Hughey Law Firm Will Seek Compensation for Your Child (and You)
The Hughey Law Firm is a full-service legal team that handles every step of our birth injury cases. We typically help parents of injured children in South Carolina by:
Completing All Case-Related Paperwork and Communications
We will file your case as promptly as possible, knowing that South Carolina law limits the time we have to file many birth injury cases in state civil court. Our team of dedicated attorneys and paralegals will also draft and file all other case-related paperwork.
Calculating the Cost of the Birth Injury
We will determine the total cost of your birth injury case by valuing damages one at a time. This includes both economic and non-economic damages.
A parent may not know the cost of their child’s future care needs. From medical treatment to the cost of living, Hughey Law Firm will account for every damage you will experience because of the birth injury.
Documenting Your and Your Child’s Damages
Our attorneys will document each of your damages and may do so using:
- Bills for medical care, medical equipment, and other medical services
- Bills for any counseling, medication, or other treatment you require for pain and suffering
- Records documenting time you’ve missed from work and the income you have lost because of that missed time
- Expert testimony about your damages
We make your case air-tight before we enter settlement negotiations by documenting your damages in detail.
Seeking Evidence of Medical Malpractice
We will rely on expert testimony, medical providers’ own statements, incident reports, and any other evidence that suggests medical malpractice.
Negligent parties do not intend harm. However, they fail to take reasonable actions that should have prevented harm. When medical providers’ negligence causes a birth injury, they’re responsible for malpractice.
Fighting for a Settlement
Your birth injury lawyer from Hughey Law Firm will demand fair compensation for you. We’ll lead settlement negotiations, which are not typically friendly, as you focus on your child.
Completing a Trial, If Necessary
Hughey Law Firm answers the call for our clients. If that means that we need to take your case to trial, we will. Though a trial is more time-consuming and expensive than securing a settlement, we won’t hesitate if a trial is the right call for your case.
We Represent Parents Who Have Tragically Lost a Child to a Birth Injury
We represent those who have unnecessarily lost their child due to medical malpractice. These cases are heartbreaking, but our attorneys have the resolve to seek justice for surviving parents and other loved ones.
We’ll identify the damages from the loss of your child, which may include:
- Your pain and suffering
- The child’s pain and suffering
- Funeral costs
- Grief counseling
Hughey Law Firm wants you to lean on us, whether your child is alive or has passed away. Our team will work to hold liable medical providers accountable for their negligence.
Call Hughey Law Firm Today for Your Free Consultation
We offer free, around-the-clock consultations. This way, you can get to know the Hughey Law Firm team without making any commitments or paying any cost. A South Carolina birth injury lawyer from our team will be ready to start your case when you are.
Call Hughey Law Firm today at (843) 881-8644 or contact us online for your free consultation. Our personal injury lawyers in South Carolina can review your situation and your child’s injuries to advise whether you have a claim. Then, we can navigate the entire legal process for you as you focus on your family.
Schedule A Free Consultation Today!
Hughey Law Firm – Charleston Office
171 Church Street Suite 330
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: (843) 633-6877
“Thank you Hughey Law Firm! It was a pleasure to work with you on my case! From the beginning, every contact I had with your firm was professional, kind, helpful, and painless! I always felt kept in the loop, and important to you as a client. If you are looking for a personal injury attorney with integrity, I would highly recommend Hughey Law Firm!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Read more on Google.