We Represent the Rights of Individuals Who Have Sustained TBIs in Preventable Accidents
There are many ways to enjoy the town of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Many people find that the wide range of outdoor activities offers something for everyone. Between exploring the town on a bicycle, hanging out at the beach, renting a boat to go fishing, or walking through the numerous retail shops, it seems like there is something for everyone. Unfortunately, there is always the potential to be involved in an accident when you are exploring this area. If you have been injured in an accident and experienced a concussion or some other type of brain injury, you have probably heard the term TBI (or traumatic brain injury).
TBIs have the potential to leave victims with extremely serious complications that can last for months. In many cases, people who have sustained TBIs have to miss weeks or months of work or school and undergo expensive medical treatment and evaluation. Fortunately, in many cases, these and other TBI-related losses are compensable. To schedule a free consultation with a Myrtle Beach TBI lawyer, call our office today at (843) 881-8644 or contact us online.
What Is a TBI
A TBI is one of the scariest types of injuries because the brain is essential to who we are as a human being as well as every bodily function we have. A traumatic brain injury often happens when someone experiences an intense blow to the head. They can also occur when the head snaps back and forth with enough force to cause the brain to hit the side of the skull. It can be difficult to determine the scope of the damage initially as symptoms are sometimes prolonged for days or even weeks.
What Are the Impacts of a TBI?
The impacts of a TBI will depend on the severity of the injury. Recovery time and ability will also rely on how serious the initial injury was. Unfortunately, every injury case is different so it can be difficult to predict the possibility of recovery. It can take time for the brain to heal, and a full recovery is not always guaranteed.
A TBI can affect every area of the body and mind. Some of the common impacts of a TBI injury are:
- Change in personality. One of the indicators of a TBI is a drastic change in personality. Accident victims who were once patient and caring can become violently aggressive and incredibly angry for no obvious reason. A change in personality often impacts those who are close to the victim the most. Watching a person you care about act irrationally can be incredibly difficult.
- Memory loss. The event of memory loss is especially difficult because it is so unpredictable. It’s hard to determine how quickly a person will regain their memory, and until they do, they probably will have a difficult time working at their old job and connecting with friends and family.
- Feelings of depression and social isolation are common with TBI victims. A change in personality can make it difficult for the injured person to connect with other people as they once did. This realization, and the inability to do anything to correct it, can lead to serious depression and feelings of hopelessness.
- Limited mobility. The brain is the control center for the rest of your body. Depending on what area is damaged, you might lose the ability to perform certain functions that used to feel effortless. This could impact your ability to walk, speak, and carry out seemingly easy tasks.
Common Causes of a Traumatic Brain Injury
When the head is impacted by a violent force, the person experiences serious damage to their brain resulting in a TBI. Some of the most common types of accidents that can cause a TBI include:
- Car accidents;
- Slip and fall accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Bicycle accidents; and
- Construction site accidents.
When you’re injured, make sure that you seek immediate medical attention, then call an experienced attorney who can instruct you on next steps.
How Working with a TBI Lawyer Can Help
In any injury case, there will be certain damages. In a TBI case, these can be astronomical. A TBI can permanently change your life, limiting your ability to work or enjoy the activities you were involved in before your accident. The insurance companies will do their best to minimize your injuries. Don’t allow them to pressure you into a lower settlement offer than you deserve. At the Hughey Law Firm, our skilled attorneys will closely evaluate your circumstances. We will put together a comprehensive list of economic and non-economic damages using expert witnesses with the goal of keeping you financially stable and providing you with the care you need.
Economic damages. The economic damages are easier to calculate because they encompass your actual medical bills, the cost of treatment and recovery and lost wages and earning capacity. These expenses often include:
- Damage to your vehicle after an accident
- A ride in an ambulance
- Medical bills accumulated from doctor’s visits
- An extended stay in the hospital
- Ongoing therapy
- After-care and an in-home medical attendant
- Lost wages due to missed work
- Lost earning capacity due to permanent disability
Non-economic damages. The non-economic damages are a bit more difficult to establish because they are not based on tangible medical bills and lost wages. Often though, these damages have a larger impact on the injured person’s life. These damages can include:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Trauma associated with disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
Our attorneys will put together a thorough list of all of your damages and request fair compensation from the insurance companies. We will speak to the insurance companies on your behalf to make sure you are being treated fairly. It is not uncommon for the insurance companies to use certain tactics to encourage accident victims to take a quick and lowball settlement. We will work to ensure your interested are being properly represented and that your claim is receiving correct attention.
Call a Myrtle Beach TBI Attorney Today
A TBI is an incredibly serious injury that can result in permanent changes to your cognitive ability and lifestyle. Many people struggle with the emotional devastation of a traumatic brain injury and have a difficult time determining if they have options for seeking financial compensation. If you or someone you love has been impacted by a TBI, the legal team at the Hughey Law Firm is here to help. We have worked with many traumatic brain injury victims and understand how challenging this type of injury is on every level. Call us today at (843) 881-8644 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.