A 2016 report by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS) reports that truck trailers were involved in more than 1,200 collisions on South Carolina roads that year, with 76 of them resulting in death. SCDPS includes semi trucks, petroleum tankers, flatbeds, auto transport carriers, and other large trucks in their definition of truck tractors. In a little more than half the accidents, truck drivers were at fault.
Regardless of whether you were driving the truck or a smaller motor vehicle, an accident involving a truck tractor can create enormous challenges for everyone involved. Commercial vehicle regulations figure into who was at fault. The size and weight of the truck can amplify the severity of injuries and property damage. If you were injured in a truck accident, contact the experienced Mt. Pleasant lawyers at Hughey Law Firm at (843) 881-8644 to discuss the details of your case.
Hughey Law Firm’s Results in Truck Accident Cases
The lawyers at Hughey Law Firm have extensive experience settling and litigating truck accident cases. Recent cases include but are not limited to:
- $750,000 settlement where a truck driver was injured in an accident because of a highway defect;
- Settlement in excess of $2,000,000 for a motorcyclist who was injured when a truck hit his motorcycle; and
- $5,425,000 settlement for a client who became paralyzed after a truck hit his pick-up.
These examples do not guarantee results in any particular case, but the attorneys at Hughey Law Firm strive to attain the best possible outcome for your every client’s individual circumstances.
The Injuries a Truck Accident Can Produce
The injuries sustained from a truck accident are often worse and more likely to be fatal than those sustained in other types of motor vehicle accidents. Victims can sustain permanent scarring and disfigurement and long-term disabilities, such as paralysis and traumatic brain injury. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Broken bones;
- Cuts, scrapes, bruises;
- Road rash;
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries;
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries caused by impact or whiplash;
- Organ damage with severe internal bleeding caused by breaking ribs or a punctured organ;
- Amputations; and
- Death—Truck accidents are more likely to result in death than ordinary motor vehicle accidents. If someone that you love died in a truck accident, contact a skilled wrongful death attorney at our office to discuss whether you can seek justice and compensation for your tragic loss.
Many Can Contribute to Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are typically complex cases. South Carolina is a tort liability state, which means that the court will assign a percentage of blame to each party in a lawsuit. Liability may fall on the driver because he or she was violating traffic violations, driving under the influence, or driving distracted. In other cases, an accident occurred because of lack of maintenance by the employer of the truck had a manufacturing defect. Some situations call for shared liability, such as a company forcing their driver to log more hours per day than allowed by law.
Truck Accidents Cause Tremendous Damage
If you have sustained an injury in a truck accident, you might be able to recover compensatory damages that are directly related to your accident. Settlements and awards by a court or jury vary with each case, but here are some of the most common damages:
- Medical expenses including hospitalization, doctor visits, surgeries, radiology, and prescription medications;
- Lost wages for missing work because of your injury;
- Future lost wages if you are not able to return to work, referred to as lost earning capacity;
- Recovery and rehabilitation expenses including physical therapy and assistive devices like canes, walkers, and wheelchairs;
- Long-term healthcare including nursing services in the case of a long-term disability;
- Modifications that you need to make to your home to function such as ramps or handrails;
- Replacement services such as domestic help, lawn care services, and other things you need to maintain your home;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Loss of consortium.
Liable Parties Will Try to Avoid Paying Compensation
Those who are liable for injuries a victim sustains in a truck accident will often try to do everything they can to avoid paying their fair share. Insurance companies may deny claims and downplay your injuries. In truck accidents, it is especially common for insurance carriers to distance themselves from the driver, and attempt to shift the blame to you or some other party that may have been responsible.
South Carolina is a “modified comparative negligence” state, which means that courts and juries must determine the percentage of fault for everyone involved in a truck accident. If a court or jury determines the victim was more than 50 percent responsible, then the victim cannot recover damages. This gives the defense an incentive to shift as much blame to you as possible by claiming you were violating traffic laws or driving recklessly. A skilled truck accident attorney knows how to defend against these types of attacks and to work to make sure that those liable pay their fair share.
Call the Hughey Law Firm After Your Mt. Pleasant Truck Accident
The Hughey Law Firm offers a free consultation for you to discuss the facts of your or your loved one’s truck accident injury with an attorney who is experienced in the field. When our team agrees to represent a client for truck accident cases, we handle the matter on a contingent fee basis, in which we only recover our fees out of any settlement or verdict that our client receives.
Injuries from a truck accident may be life-changing. This is most likely a difficult time for you; you want to concentrate on recovery and rehabilitation while letting your lawyer deal with the details of seeking justice and compensation on your behalf. If you have been injured in a truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions, contact the experienced Mt. Pleasant attorneys at Hughey Law Firm online or at (843) 881-8644 for a free consultation.
“I couldn’t be more pleased with the level of service I received from Nate at Hughey Law Firm. He took the time to not only learn about my case but also to learn about my father. I could tell all throughout the procedures that he had my best interest in mind and I would recommend him anytime on any case. Thank you so much.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!