If you sustained an injury through someone else’s fault, you may find yourself wondering, “What are my rights in this situation?” Even though you didn’t cause your injuries, you still have to deal with the substantial pain, suffering, and expense they’ve caused. To help you figure out how to protect your rights and seek any compensation you may be due, you may need to retain an experienced personal injury. Contact the Hughey Law Firm today at (843) 881-8644 to schedule a free consultation to find out about how we may be able to help.
Hughey Law Firm: Our Results in Personal Injury Cases
Hughey Injury Lawyers comes to the table with a history of success. We have represented clients in a wide range of personal injury matters, including auto accidents, nursing home accidents, and more. We achieve results for our clients both in and out of the courtroom. In one wrongful death case, for example, we were able to recover more than $3 million after a patient escaped from a group home and was struck by a drunk driver. Our trucking accident cases include settlements of over $5 million and over $2 million. When our client was injured at a club, we were able to recover more than $1.5 million in damages.
Why Do I Need a Greenville Personal Injury Attorney?
If you’re in the Greenville area and you’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may need a personal injury attorney to help you navigate the legal system, determine what compensation you’re due for your injuries, and provide you with the support you need during the process. We offer assistance with a variety of legal issues, including:
- Nursing home abuse: When someone you love has been abused in a nursing home facility, from physical or sexual abuse to emotional abuse or neglect, we can help your loved one find a safer facility and recover appropriate compensation.
- Medical malpractice: Not every doctor provides the appropriate quality of care patients need and deserve. From failure to properly diagnose or inform a patient about the risks associated with treatment to issues arising from physician error or mistreatment, the Hughey Law Firm helps its clients recover compensation necessary to heal from the harm caused by negligent or reckless medical professionals.
- Auto accidents: Vehicle accidents are common in Greenville. According to a state police report, in 2016, “Greenville County had the second most total traffic collisions (16,508), the most fatal collisions (81), the most fatalities (87), and the most property damage only collisions (12,417).” Following an auto accident, you may find yourself struggling to get your life back on track as you deal with broken bones, whiplash, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, and other injuries. Having an attorney to help fight for you can increase the odds that you’ll get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. We also handle cases of truck accidents and motorcycle accidents, which may include more extensive injuries than traditional auto accident cases.
- Workers’ compensation: Workers’ compensation cases require you to deal with specific doctors selected by your insurance company for treatment. They’re also expensive, costing South Carolina residents almost $886 million a year. We help our clients negotiate with insurance companies providing workers’ compensation coverage and deal with any difficulties in getting the treatment they deserve.
- Premises liability: The most well-known form of premises liability are so-called “slip and fall” accidents, which can result in broken bones, spinal cord damage, and even traumatic brain injury. Premises owners may be liable if they fail to provide appropriate protection to visitors to their facilities in other ways, from leaving open electrical connections that lead to shock or electrocution to items that are positioned to fall from high shelves or scaffolding. Since public premises have a duty of care to provide a safe environment for their visitors, if you’re injured on a business or other property, you may need legal help for your issues.
About Liability in Personal Injury Cases
In order to win a personal injury lawsuit, you generally must prove that the individual or entity responsible violated a duty of care to you by causing your injuries. The entity bearing this duty of care may vary based on the circumstances of your accident. Liability may be borne by businesses, car or truck drivers, or private individuals, depending on what led to your accident and injuries. Working with an attorney can help you determine who is responsible in your personal injury case so that you can seek compensation from the appropriate individual or entities and receive the maximum compensation your accident is worth.
Types of Damages Typically Recovered in Greenville Personal Injury Cases
The damages a victim may be able to recover for a specific personal injury will depend on many factors, including the severity of the injury, the expenses of recovery, and the size of the insurance coverage the responsible parties carried. There are, however, several categories of damages that attorneys often seek to recover on their clients’ behalf, such as::
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Payment to cover current and future medical bills associated with the accident
- Coverage for property damage
- Payment for funeral and burial expenses
- Funds to cover lost wages
- Compensation for lost earning potential in the case of long-term or permanent injuries
Insurance and Defense Considerations
In many personal injury cases, you may find yourself struggling to deal with insurance companies to get full compensation for your injuries. They may, for example, attempt to offer you a lower settlement than your injuries are worth in an effort to reduce their expense. Liable individuals may also try to prove that they didn’t bear responsibility for your injuries, whether through denying duty of care or through trying to prove that you were the one responsible. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you manage negotiations with these parties.
Get Legal Help in Greenville From a Personal Injury Lawyer
At Hughey Injury Lawyers, we start by setting up a free consultation to better understand our clients’ injuries and the circumstances surrounding them. In many cases, we have agreed to represent our clients on a contingent fee basis, in which they pay nothing up front and we recover fees only out of any settlement or verdict we achieve on the clients’ behalf.
If you need experienced personal injury legal representation in the Greenville area, we’re here to help. Contact the Hughey Law Firm today at (843) 881-8644 to schedule our free consultation.