Hughey Law Firm represents victims of brain injuries from all walks of life. Our firm will fight for a fair financial recovery if you suffered your injury in an auto accident, a fall, or other accidental circumstances. We also represent parents and others whose loved ones have suffered a brain injury and can’t represent themselves.
A Columbia brain injury lawyer from Hughey Law Firm will take on insurance companies or any other liable parties that owe you compensation. You can focus on your recovery while we fight for justice on your behalf.
Why Choose Hughey Law Firm to Represent You After a Brain Injury in Columbia?
Our law firm offers you experienced personal injury attorneys who care about you. Yours will be more than just another brain injury case—it will be an opportunity to help someone who has suffered a life-changing injury. We take this responsibility seriously, and we’ll fight tirelessly for you.
You may choose Hughey Law Firm to represent you because:
- We advocate aggressively for our clients: Whether we take your case to court or resolve it at the negotiating table, we will fight for the entire sum you are entitled to. No matter how large the insurance company or how aggressive the party we are negotiating with, Hughey Law Firm never backs down.
- We have successfully represented many clients with brain injuries: We are familiar with cases like yours, which gives us a strong footing to lead your case. Our prior experience helps us understand the complicated details of brain injuries, how these injuries affect victims’ lives, and how much compensation a brain injury victim may deserve.
- We have proven results: Hughey Law Firm has recovered more than $200 million in settlements and judgments for our clients. Brain injuries can cause lifelong symptoms that may require lifelong medical care. We’ll determine the exact value of your damages and settle for nothing less than you deserve.
- Our clients are like family: We don’t just fight for our clients’ financial recovery. We treat clients the same way that we treat our own families. We’ll provide a personal approach to your case, which means always communicating, showing respect, and listening to your requests and concerns.
Hughey Law Firm serves South Carolinians in their times of need. You’re certainly in need if you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury. Our firm will use its legal experience and resources as we seek the compensation you are entitled to.
Our Firm’s Case Results Include Victories for Traumatic Brain Injury Victims
Two notable case results prove that Hughey Law Firm can deliver in cases involving traumatic brain injuries. We secured $250,000 for a client who fell and suffered a brain injury while in a nursing home. We also recovered $750,000 in a tragic case where a client lost brain activity.
Brain injuries are often complex, and you deserve a law firm that knows what it is doing. Our team has worked alongside experts to understand our clients’ injuries, so we are prepared to learn the facts of your case and take necessary legal action.
How a Brain Injury Can Affect the Victim’s Life
Without getting into the medical aspects of a brain injury, victims should know the potential realities that lie ahead.
Many brain injuries are lifelong conditions, and the effects of your injury may:
- Cause daily pain and discomfort
- Increase your risk of seizures, certain infections, and other serious health issues
- Restrict your ability to exercise and maintain overall good health
- Prevent you from working, or limit you to part-time work
- Rob you of your independence
- Worsen your social life
- Limit your overall quality of life
Brain injury symptoms can worsen with time and may even prove fatal for many victims. For these reasons, everyone with a brain injury must take the symptoms seriously and speak with a skilled injury lawyer about fighting for compensation.
Even if symptoms do not seem to be all that serious right now, they can get worse. If symptoms do worsen and you choose not to seek compensation, then you may face significant financial pressure without any way to get the money you need.
Let Hughey Law Firm fight for you now so you do not regret taking action later.
Recoverable Damages in Columbia Brain Injury Cases
Our attorneys put the challenges that a brain injury presents into legal terms. We will categorize the effects of your brain injury into specific types of damages, which may include:
Pain and Suffering
Civil courts in South Carolina allow victims to seek money for their pain and suffering, including:
- Loss of independence
- Physical pain
- Cognitive problems
- Changes in personality
- Emotional distress
- Psychological issues like depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Lost quality of life
Some types of pain and suffering may result from a brain injury. Other types of pain and suffering may result from circumstances tied to the brain injury—disturbing memories of a motor vehicle accident, for example, or frustrations over new disabilities or limitations.
The attorneys at Hughey Law Firm will seek compensation for all the pain and suffering you have experienced.
Research shows that traumatic brain injuries cause longer, more costly hospital stays than the average injury. The cost of hospitalization can be financially devastating, and you should not have to pay for medical expenses that someone else is responsible for.
In addition to hospitalization costs, you may get compensation to cover the cost of:
- Brain scans
- Rehabilitation-related expenses
- Follow-up visits to monitor the progress of your injury
- Transportation to medical appointments
For many, healthcare costs are a significant portion of their annual expenses. When you suffer a serious brain injury, your financial burden for medical care will likely increase significantly. We will work to relieve the pressure you face because of injury-related medical costs.
No matter what kind of work you do, a brain injury can affect you professionally.
If your injury prevents you from doing your job as you normally can, you may suffer:
- Lost income
- Lost earning power (the result of working only part-time or having to change careers)
- A downward shift in your professional ambitions
- Loss of potential promotions and bonuses
- Loss of fulfillment you get from your work
Professional damages often mean financial harm, but the toll of professional damages can also be non-economic.
A Wrongful Death
Some brain injuries claim the lives of their victims. Whether because the person with the brain injury no longer has a meaningful quality of life due to coma or because the injury itself is fatal, wrongful deaths can result from traumatic brain injuries.
We handle these heartbreaking cases for clients in Columbia, and we generally seek compensation to cover:
- Emergency and end-of-life medical care
- Funeral services
- Surviving loved ones’ pain and suffering
- The decedent’s pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of a parent’s guidance
- Loss of the decedent’s financial support and household services
Whatever the nature of your damages, the Hughey Law Firm is here for you.
Depending on how your brain injury happened, you may also have property costs that we will seek compensation for. For example, car accident victims with brain injuries may also need to repair or replace their vehicles.
How an Attorney from Hughey Law Firm Will Seek Compensation for Your Brain Injury in Columbia
The Hughey Law Firm team will lead you through the entirety of your case. Whether we seek money through an insurance claim, lawsuit, or some combination of these approaches, your lawyer will be by your side until the end. Ideally, we’ll complete your case by getting the compensation you deserve.
We generally help our clients with brain injuries by:
- Determining who owes you money: Once we have gathered the most important details of your injury, we’ll know who is liable for your damages. More than one person or organization may owe you money.
- Calculating the full cost of your (or a loved one’s) brain injury: A brain injury sends shockwaves through most areas of your life, from your health to your earning power and general well-being. We’ll complete a comprehensive calculation of your damages, then use that calculation to seek the money you deserve.
- Documenting damages: We’ll use medical bills, medical records, expert testimony, and any other relevant documentation to prove your damages.
- Fighting for a fair settlement: Brain injuries are often costly, and liable parties may be unwilling to pay the money they owe you. During settlement negotiations, the Hughey Law Firm team will explain why you deserve the money you do and that we will take your case to trial if liable parties don’t pay you fairly.
- Handling any necessary trial: Our firm does what is best for the client. Though most civil cases end with a settlement, we take our cases to trial when the client needs us to.
The brain injury lawyers at Hughey Law Firm will handle every other detail of your case, large and small. From drafting paperwork to verifying details of your case and communicating with other attorneys and insurance companies, we’ll do it all for you.
How Much Does a Victim Deserve for a Traumatic Brain Injury?
The cost of a brain injury varies case-by-case. Some injuries may heal with time and proper treatment, while other brain injuries may cause permanent damage. This is just one consideration that may affect the cost of your brain injury and the compensation you deserve for that injury.
Our team wants to ensure that:
- You do not pay out of your own pocket for medical care related to your brain injury
- You do not face the financial pressure that can result from an inability to work
- Should unforeseen damages arise in the future, you need full financial coverage
- We hold liable parties responsible for the harm they caused you
Brain injury cases are just as much about getting justice as they are about getting compensation. In cases like yours, we know these goals are one and the same. Trust Hughey Law Firm to prioritize your case and fight for every dollar you are entitled to.
Types of Brain Injury Cases That Hughey Law Firm Handles
We see brain injuries result from a wide variety of circumstances, and our firm represents victims who suffered brain injuries from:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Workplace accidents, including construction accidents
- Accidents, abuse, or neglect in nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trip and fall accidents
- Circumstances related to an animal attack
- Sporting accidents
These are just some of the common circumstances that lead to brain injuries. If you have suffered a brain injury, reach out to see if the Hughey Law Firm can represent you following your type of accident.
You Face a Deadline for Filing Your Brain Injury Case in Columbia
Though statutes of limitations contain exceptions, most brain injury victims in South Carolina face a strict deadline for filing their cases. Even if we choose not to file a lawsuit for you (we may file an insurance claim instead), we must maintain the option of filing a lawsuit.
By staying ahead of filing deadlines, we prevent insurance companies from gaining leverage in negotiations. We can proceed with a lawsuit if you do not receive the settlement you deserve. This option may motivate insurers (or other liable parties) to settle fairly.
We also want to collect any time-sensitive evidence that can benefit your case. This is yet another reason to hire Hughey Law Firm as soon as possible.
Call a Columbia Brain Injury Attorney at Hughey Law Firm Today for a Free Consultation
Our law firm has a track record of success in brain injury cases. Just as importantly, our clients are the top priority. When you hire a Columbia brain injury lawyer from Hughey Law Firm, you get the support of our entire firm.
Call Hughey Law Firm today at (843) 881-8644 or contact us through our website for your free consultation with our Columbia personal injury attorneys. We’re ready to fight for you, so don’t wait to contact us.